Reading Remediation in Clearwater, FL
Reading Remediation, also known as Language-Literacy Therapy or Dyslexia Therapy, is designed to create individualized treatment plans for explicit and systematic instruction to remediate difficulties with reading, writing, spelling, and reading comprehension in our Clearwater, FL clinic.
About Our Program
We provide an individualized, reading remediation program, based on the child’s specific deficits. These deficits are identified through an in-depth, language-literacy evaluation in our Clearwater, FL clinic, which looks at all areas that affect reading development. Once the deficits have been identified, an individualized reading remediation plan is developed. Our program is designed to close the gap between a child’s current, academic performance and his/her potential. We provide explicit and systematic instruction, so the child can overcome his/her struggles with reading development. The idea is to create a positive setting, where the child can experience success with reading, writing, and spelling.
What Does a Reading Remediation Evaluation Look Like?
Our reading remediation evaluations in our Clearwater, FL clinic consist of:
- Two, 2-hour testing sessions, where the following abilities are assessed:
- Parent and child interview information
- Receptive and expressive language
- Phonological awareness
- Reading fluency and accuracy
- Reading comprehension
- Letter-sound correspondence
- Working memory
- Word finding
- Rapid automatic naming
- Rote facts (address, phone number, days of the week, months of the year)
- One, 1-hour parent conference to go over results, where the following are provided:
- Comprehensive written report with analysis
- Research-based academic and classroom accommodations
- Parent resources
- Time to ask questions
Tools We Use:
- Barton Reading and Spelling System
- Interactive Metronome®
- Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech (LiPS®)
- Lindamood-Bell Seeing Stars®: Symbol Imagery for Phonological and Orthographic Processing in Reading and Spelling
- Lindamood-Bell Visualizing and Verbalizing®
- Variety of Reading Progression Books
- Wilson Reading System
Who Will Benefit from Reading Remediation?
Our program is designed to improve reading, writing, spelling, working memory, and reading comprehension skills. Reading remediation is provided for:
- Children with dyslexia or related reading disorders
- Children who struggle with encoding (spelling) and decoding (sounding out)
- Children who read accurately, but struggle with comprehension
- Children who struggle with reading fluency/speed
What Does a Session Look Like?
Our program uses materials from several different reading remediation programs and consists of scientifically-proven, research-based methods, that follow Orton-Gillingham principles. During a therapy session a child will receive:
- 1:1 instruction with a highly skilled, speech-language pathologist
- Instruction with research-based methods
- Opportunities to improve reading accuracy and fluency
- Opportunities to improve phonological awareness
- Positive instruction in written expression
- Movement breaks which incorporate our therapy gym
Barton Reading and Spelling System
This is an Orton-Gillingham based reading and spelling program designed for children who are struggling to develop and learn the skills necessary for fluent reading, spelling, and comprehension.
An assessment and training program developed to directly improve the processing abilities that affect attention, motor planning, and sequencing. IM, in turn, strengthens motor skills, lengthens attention span, and improves processing functions, such as planning, organizing, and language.
Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech (LiPS®)
The Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® (LiPS®) program develops phoneme awareness. Students learn to recognize how their mouths produce the sounds of language. This kinesthetic feedback enables them to verify sounds within words and to become self-correcting in reading, spelling, and speech.
Seeing Stars®: Symbol Imagery for Phonological and Orthographic Processing in Reading and Spelling
The Seeing Stars® (SI™) program develops symbol imagery: the ability to visualize sounds and letters in words for both phonological and orthographic processing. Students move through a series of steps – from single consonants/vowels to multisyllabic and contextual reading – to develop the imagery-language connection for competency in written language.
Lindamood-Bell Visualizing and Verbalizing®
This program develops concept imagery—the ability to create a mental image from language (making a movie in your mind). This is the basis for comprehension and higher order thinking. The development of concept imagery improves reading and listening comprehension, memory, oral vocabulary, critical thinking, and writing.
Wilson Reading System
This is an intensive reading remediation program for children with reading deficits who are not making sufficient progress as a reader. These children may have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies, and require multisensory language instruction with more intensively structured literacy instruction, due to a language-based learning/reading disability, such as dyslexia.